It is amazing that tall tales are rooted in some true and fascinating history. One of the entertaining aspects of Karamanski’s book is the stories about real people. Here is a story of true vigilante justice on the wild frontier. On September 19, 1881 in Menominee, Michigan, Frank McDonald and John McDougal were finishing a long night of drinking and looking for ladies of the night when they stumbled upon an enemy, Billy Kittson. Apparently Kittson had aided the Sheriff in arresting McDonald and sending him to a state prison. Hard words between Kittson and McDonald quickly erupted into a fight. The fight was halted when Kittson broke a whiskey bottle over McDonald’s head. Belligerently Kittson went into the street, excited to tell his brother about his triumph. When McDougal and the revived McDonald overtook Kittson. They knocked him to his knees with a log peavey and McDonald drove knife into his back. Norman Kittson witnessed what happened to his brother and when he tried to help he was stabbed in the neck with the same knife. Norman then unveiled his pistol and began firing. McDougal was grazed in the leg and he and McDonald fled the scene. Billy Kittson after being stabbed through the back staggered into the nearest bar, ordered drinks for everyone and immediately dropped dead on the floor. Miraculously Norman Kittson survived the ordeal after his neck wound was treated. McDonald and McDougal were both arrested after being caught trying to flee. However the ordeal was not over. Soon after Billy Kittson was burried, a mob formed outside the jail with plans to lynch McDonald. Even with the reinforcement of the local Grand Army of the Republic chapter, the sheriff’s deputies could not safeguard the prisoners. The mob broke down the cell door with a large log and took the prisoners. Ropes were wrapped around their necks and they were thrown out of the jail. The mob dragged the two men through the muddy streets, kicking, hitting and assaulting them. At some point the men died from injuries sustained and then their bodies were hung from the railroad cross post.